Tuesday, January 10, 2012

small steps

So, we're 10 days into the new year!  How's the discipline in simplicity going for you?

I'm generally such an "all or nothing" kind of person that I'm attempting this year to take some smaller steps that are sustainable in the long-run.   What does this look like?

-Downloading my pictures from my camera in more clearly named folders on one computer so that I don't have  a mix of family and ministry photos sitting on my home computer, laptop, AND work computer.  After four years of doing that, my photo storage is a RANDOM MESS.  I'm organizing differently for future snapshots.

-I've decided to grocery shop one day weekly.  I've never been consistent...in the past, I've done a big shop once every 3-4 weeks, and then I'd go to the store multiple other times in a month to "pick-up-two-things-that-turn-into-twenty".  I haven't planned well, and because I've not had a weekly plan, I've not been very wise in our shopping trips or meal preparation.  So, I'm trying to consistently make a plan and have a shopping day weekly in the plan.

My husband recently came back from a trip to Colorado in which he stayed at a friend's house overnight.  Mike's friend, Scott, lives more simply than 99% of the American population, and by choice.  The extent of his furniture:  a chair and a mattress.  He even uses his dress shirts on hangers as his curtains.  Our home is far from such a scene...and it's not a model I'm aspiring to...but it does inspire me to keep working toward living a little more on the lighter side.

No comments: