Sunday, December 18, 2011

why an experiment in simplicity?

(It's been almost five years since we did a month of practicing simplicity together in community. Anyone want to try a simpler January 2012? I am reprinting what I wrote on this blog in December 2006. I could write the same post today, though I look back over these past five years, and I'm happy to say there has been some small sustained growth for me in a simpler life. Anywho, anyone want to join me in January??)

I think for me, it's a focus issue. The more I want to focus on Jesus, the more I'm realizing that it helps to get rid of some of the clutter that keeps me distracted. The more I declutter and uncomplicate, the more time and space I experience in my life for things that matter most. And I want more of that. Especially in the financial realm. I want to be able to free up some more financial resources to be used for God's work in the world. But all of this takes some intention and a lot of practice to help break out of some lifestyle habits that I've formed.

So, let's practice together. You're invited to join in this 30 day experiment in simplicity. For the month of January, we're simply going to practice making some choices that help to free up some time, space, and money for God. I anticipate some great learning in the process, and everyone involved is welcome to comment and share their experiences on this blog. We're not going to set the parameters for you and your family. You will need to pray about that and do that yourselves. If you're like me, God has given you an idea of what encumbers you.

For the Hoy's, we're going to cut our grocery/household items budget by 1/3 in January. And we're going to refrain that month from eating out and spending money on outside entertainment. We're also going to refrain from buying clothes, books, or any other unnecessary stuff. As for gift buying, we have some to do in January for birthdays, but we're going to be intentional and smart about not adding more clutter to someone else's life. We're also going to place some intentional practices throughout the month that help us become more globally aware and help us to practice gratitude.

If you're planning to take part, please feel free to comment on this post and come on board! Let's be open to what God has to teach us as we fast some from excess, noise, busyness, and consumption in January. And know that the ultimate goal in this simplicity experience is that God would grow our hearts in love for Him and for our neighbor! Looking forward to journeying with you-

Laura Hoy

1 comment:

Rikaman said...

Browsing through blogs tonight and came across yours Laura. I've been a big fan of 'simplicity' for several years now. Surely a tough, but not impossible goal in our American culture. I liked your "refrain from buying clothes, books, or any other unnecessary stuff." And, "for birthdays...we're going to be intentional and smart about not adding more clutter to someone else's life." Also, "refrain that month from eating out and spending money on outside entertainment."

I hope that 'simplicity' continues to be your friend some three years later.